On Sunday, May 5, 2013 I had the chance to attend the Do AC Boardwalk Wine Promenade hosted by Do AC and wine expert, Leslie Sbrocco. It was a beautiful afternoon strolling the famous Atlantic City boardwalk sampling the 150 wines available, while also nibbling on some the city’s best restaurant samples. From the event, I pulled together my Top 10 Wine Picks which are listed below.
- Mar de Frades, Albariño, Rias Baixas, Spain $$$ – This sleekly designed bottle brings the sea to the table. When the zesty, refreshing wine is the right temperature for serving a sailing ship will appear and the wine is ready to drink.
- Albino Armani, “Macaron” Prosecco, Italy $$ – Armani is a historic producer who has been crafting wine for 400 years. This whimsical take on easy-drinking Prosecco captures their fun, modern side.
- The Seeker, Malbec, Mendoza, Argentina $$ – Go on a journey with The Seeker wines. Each bottling celebrates a character that represents art, history, travel and adventure. This Malbec is spicy, peppery, and full of rich fruit notes. It’s a journey in delicious.
- Marilyn Merlot, Napa Valley, California $$$ –These coveted bottles showcase photos of superstar Marilyn Monroe. Every vintage is a new image, making them collector’s items.The wine inside is attractive, too. A merlot with supple, sensual textures.
- Domodomonti, “Il Messa,” Marche, Italy $$$$ – A unique producer whose natural winemaking approach has brought acclaim, this blend of grapes Montepulciano and Merlot is evocative and sexy.
- Francis Coppola, “Red Label” Zinfandel, California $$ – Brawny Zinfandel is America’s heritage variety with roots in the Old World. The rustic red grape creates bold red wines to saddle alongside sweet and sassy BBQ.
- Hogue, Gewurztraminer, Columbia Valley, Washington $ – Meaning “spiced” in German, Gewurztraminer is an aromatic grape that smells of flowers. Soft and fruity, it’s a medium-bodied white that makes curry dishes sing.
- Ramón Bilbao, Gran Reserva, Rioja, Spain $$$ – Since 1924 this classic winery in Spain’s Rioja region has been crafting stunning sips. This Gran Reserva—aged more than five years in barrel and bottle—is earthy, elegant and spicy. A class act.
- Two Oceans, Shiraz, South Africa $ – A smooth yet spicy red that’s ideal to pair with burgers or pizza for a fast summer feast.
- Renault Winery Blueberry Champagne, Local $ – A beautiful bubbly infused with fresh blueberry flavor. Ideal for sipping and celebrations
NOTE for the Top 10 Wine Picks: Pricing Key: $ ~ 12.00 and under • $$ 13.00-20.00 • $$$ ~ 21.00-35.00 • $$$$ more than 35.00. Wine descriptions and pricing pulled from Do AC Wine tasting notes prepared by Leslie Sbrocco.
I was thrilled to catch up with Leslie and chat with her for a bit. She is so impressive with her depth of knowledge when it comes to wine. Her selections for this event were impeccable.
She is always such a blast and you can’t help but have a great time when she is around.
In addition the fantastic wine selections, especially my top 10 wine picks from the event, the food was equally impressive. Some of my favorites from the event included: Chart House’s Ahi Tuna Nachos; Lillie’s Truffled Edamame Potato Dumplings; Mini Chocolate PB&J cups and; Borgata’s Savory Cheese Cones.
The Do AC Boardwalk Wine Promenade also included various live bands to entertain the attendees, as well as local notables, including Miss New Jersey, Lindsey Petrosh.
It was a fantastic event and everyone I spoke with was having a great time and couldn’t say enough positive things about the event. It is definitely an event to mark on your calendars for next year. What a blast.
Disclosure: I was invited to attend the wine festival and will be covering the event on my blog, which includes access to certain VIP and free events.