This vegetarian Zucchini Spinach Lasagna is a delicious plant-based take on a comforting, classic dish. Perfect for National Spinach Day, Meatless Mondays or for your veggie-long family and friends.
I have a love for lasagna. I like all kinds of lasagna – from meat, to cheese to vegetarian – I just can’t say no to lasagna. It is such a feel-good dish. I also love that one batch can feed a crowd and offers plenty of leftovers. Lasagna is the perfect dish to serve for guests, but is also a go-to dish if you are preparing a refrigerator/freezer meal for a family in need.
I am a contributor to Shore Local Magazine. In our latest issue, I shared this Zucchini Spinach Lasagna recipe, along with an article about my volunteer work with Lasagna Love, My article titled Feeling the Lasagna Love, can be found on pages 18-19. You can find the full issue HERE.
As a volunteer for Lasagna Love, I make lasagnas out of my home and deliver them to families in need in my community. In fact, a portion of all proceeds from this blog help support my volunteer work with Lasagna Love, as I purchase all of the ingredients to make my lasagnas myself. I make 1-2 lasagnas every week and personally deliver them to the families.
Zucchini Spinach Lasagna
I created this recipe for my vegetarian families and I am sharing it with you today.
Zucchini Spinach Lasagna
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 25 ounces marinara sauce
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (1/4 cup for ricotta mixture, 3/4 cup for lasagna)
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 box no-boil lasagna noodles
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and cook the onions until softened (4-5 minutes).
- Add garlic, fresh chopped spinach and shredded zucchini.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until spinach is wilted and zucchini is sautéed.
- Add marinara sauce (reserve a small amount to coat baking dish).
- Mix and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir to combine the ricotta, egg, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, garlic powder, parsley and salt and pepper.
- To assemble the lasagna, spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread reserved marinara sauce into the bottom of a baking dish.
- Top with 3 no-boil lasagna noodle sheets.
- Spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture over the noodles, then top with 1/3 of the spinach-zucchini marinara mixture, evenly distributing over the ricotta.
- Lightly sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat the layering steps, ending with a final layer of noodles on the top.
- Top the final noodle layer with marinara mixture and mozzarella cheese.
- Add 1/2 cup of water to the bottom of the baking dish to help hydrate the no-boil lasagna noodles.
- Cover with foil and bake for 60 minutes.
- Remove foil, raise oven temperature to 450 degrees, top with additional mozzarella cheese and continue baking until liquid is evaporated and cheese is bubbling (approx. 10-15 minutes).
- Cool for 10-20 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley to serve.
Whether you are a vegetarian, flexitarian or opting for meat-free Mondays, this Zucchini Spinach Lasagna is a delicious choice for your meal. Be sure to save this one or pin it to your Pinterest board because it is definitely a crowd pleaser.
And remember, my full catalog of recipes are available right here on this site. Either use my recipe index or the search bar to find your next favorite!