Kids eat healthy at Disney with the Magic of Healthy Living and the Mickey Check. The Disney Magic of Healthy Living partners with parents and children to inspire healthier lifestyles and better food choices.
In 2006, Disney pioneered new, well-balanced kids’ meals served at its Parks and Resorts to include nutritious sides and beverages such as carrots and low-fat milk. In 2012, Disney furthered their commitment to children’s nutrition and the Magic of Healthy Living by introducing the Mickey Check, a tool that makes it easier to identify nutritious choices in stores, online, and while on vacation at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.
The overall goal of the Magic of Healthy Living and the Mickey Check is to provide various options for Disney guests to choose from when it comes to food and beverage selections, whether they are looking for the more indulgent options or nutritious meals.
All foods which meet the Disney Nutrition Guidelines receive the Mickey Check.
Mickey Check food items include items with limited calories, saturated fat, sodium and sugar. The criteria are derived from USDA Guidelines for Americans, adapted for kids with input from leading health experts and based on foods readily available in the marketplace.
The Mickey Check appears on kids’ meal menu items in both quick service and table service restaurants throughout U.S. Parks and Resorts. At Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California healthy food options are available at:
- Café Orleans’ – Crescent City Salmon Salad – fresh spinach and mixed baby greens tossed with caramelized pecans, red grapes, navel orange segments, caramelized onion, chopped green onion, roasted sweet corn and orange –cilantro vinaigrette, crowned with pan-seared Atlantic Salmon
- River Belle Terrace – Any fresh carved sandwich can be turned into a freshly “carved” salad. The selections include: Roast New York and Mississippi Turkey Breast.
- Redd Rocket’s Pizza Port features fresh, made-to-order salads, including the Planetary Pizza Salad, Asian Chicken Salad and Celestial Caesar Chicken Salad.
Sometimes, all it takes is a little sprinkle of pixie dust to get your kids to try something new. To win your very own Magic of Healthy Living and Mickey Check Kit, enter below by simply leaving a comment and answering the question, “What do you do to encourage your children to make healthier food choices?”
Winner will receive a prize pack which includes:
- 2 Mickey Check aprons
- 1 Disney recipe book
- 1 Disney reusable aluminum water battle
- 4 Disney-licensed food coupons for free products
- 2 Disney books
- 1 $10 Build-a-Bear gift card
- 1 Disney reusable shopping bag (not pictured)
Winning entry will be selected at random. Contest runs from May 5, 2014 and ends on May 12, 2014 (11:59 pm EST). One entry per person. Simply comment below to win! Good luck!
I was invited by Disney to attend the Disney Social Media Moms Celebration in Anaheim, California and experienced special events and opportunities. I did pay a modest conference free to attend with my family. I was not asked to write this post by Disney. I learned at the Magic of Healthy Living while at this celebration. Opinions are my owns.