As the weather warms up, I find myself drawn to healthier, lighter foods and more grab and go options. For breakfast, snacks at the park or energy foods to pack for a hike or bike ride I like to have homemade granola on hand. I have shared another one of my favorite granola recipes in the past but I think I have dethroned my favorite with this Pecan Pretzel Granola.
Making granola at home is so easy. I like to make it homemade because I get way more granola than what’s sold in those pouches from the store for about half the price and I can pack it with extras like chia seeds, ground flax, wheat germ and more. It’s great way to sneak in some extra nutrients and keep me satisfied longer!
This granola with pretzels and pecans is fantastic on its own or can be served up in a variety of ways:
- Grab a scoop and put in a small plastic snack bag or container for an on-the-go treat
- Add 1/4 cup of the granola with pretzel and pecans to your bowl of cereal (my favorite is on top of Cheerios)
- Top your favorite yogurt. Granola with pretzel and pecans add the best crunch
- Blend 3-4 tablespoons into a smoothie to keep you feeling full
- Hollow out a strawberry, fill with peanut butter or cream cheese and spread some along the top of the strawberry and roll strawberry in granola (this is what I did – such a great snack)
- Sprinkle the granola with pretzels and pecans on top of a fruit salad
- Slice a banana length-wise, spread banana with peanut butter and sprinkle granola on top
- 3 cups of old fashioned or “large flake” rolled oats
- 1 cup of chopped pecans
- 1 cup of broken up pretzel pieces (I used pretzels from the bottom of the bag)
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground flax 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup liquid sugar (or honey or agave nectar)
- Splash of vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- To prepare the granola you will begin by mixing the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.Then in a small pot, combine the coconut oil, liquid sugar (or honey, agave, etc.) and vanilla extract and heat until coconut oil is melted.
- Pour wet ingredients over the dry, and stir.
- Spread granola out on a large parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake in a 300 degree oven for 12-15 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Cool completely before moving to a tightly sealed glass jar and use to spread over your favorite yogurt.
This article was written by beer and food blogger Linda Arceo and Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps