Just in time for Memorial Day, I have a red, white and blue breakfast baked good that comes to you disguised as an Easy Puff Pastry Berry-Cheese Danish. The fact that it is patriotic-themed post just days before the official start of summer and Memorial Day is completely coincidental. How cool is that?
This Easy Puff Pastry Berry-Cheese Danish is how it implies – super easy to make due to the puff pastry base and finished with a layer of decadent, sweetened cream cheese and fresh berries. It is lighter than the traditional cheese danish and is not overly sweet.
I took the sweetness down a notch because, as much as I love the everyday cheese danish from the perfect continental buffet breakfast, sometimes they can be a little too sweet – especially when it is the first thing I am eating for the day. Starting my day off with something too sweet just sets me off for a day of over indulgences due to the never-ending sweet tooth.
To begin preparing the Easy Puff Pastry Berry-Cheese Danish I rolled out the two sheets of puff pastry to a long, rectangular shape and placed the two sheets on top of one another to create one thick layer. I then scored the pastry to create 15 danishes.
After mixing the cheese filling, I placed about one tablespoon of cheese mixture into the center of each danish piece.
The next step is to create the danish shape by pulling each of the four corners towards the center cheese filling and folding over before adding a few strawberry slices and blueberries to each danish.
Once filled and folded, I baked them in a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes, rotating half way through the baking process.
The result is a fresh and airy Puff Pastry Berry-Cheese Danish that will easily make any morning 100% better, especially if you are cheese danish fan (like I am).
I dusted them with powdered sugar before serving – but this is totally optional.
- 2 sheets puff pastry; thawed
- 8 oz cream cheese; at room temperature
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs; divided
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour for rolling and work space dusting
- sliced fresh strawberries
- handful of fresh blueberries
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and sugar and cream together until smooth. Add vanilla and 2 egg yolks and stir until just combined.
- On a floured surface, unfold both sheets of puff pastry and roll and stretch each sheet until it is about the size of a baking sheet. Place one puff pastry sheet on top of the other and roll with rolling pin to merge together.
- Score and cut the puff pastry sheet into 15 equal squares. Spoon a tablespoon of cream cheese filling into the center of each square. Top with a few fresh strawberry slices and blueberries. Combine reserved egg whites with 2 tablespoons of water to make an egg wash. Brush unbaked puff pastry danish with an egg white wash. Bake in 400 degree oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown, rotating the pans once halfway through. Dust with powdered sugar prior to serving (optional).
- I prepare my danishes on the actual baking dish to avoid having to transfer the filled, unbaked danish.
Either way, I am sure you are going to love this super easy Puff Pastry Berry-Cheese Danish recipe.
Make some this weekend, brew a nice cup (or pot) of coffee and enjoy a Puff Pastry Berry-Cheese Danish on your deck or patio.
This post was written by Linda Arceo for Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps. All rights reserved.