Does it get any better than Chocolate Covered Irish Potatoes? This popular and traditional Philadelphia confection has been taken to a whole new level.
I was inspired for this week’s Mini Chef Mondays series by taking the traditional Irish Potatoes candy recipe I’ve grown to know and love and dipping them in decadent bittersweet chocolate to make them even better. Everyone in my house looks forward to my yearly Irish Potatoes. This year, I’m also delivering a box of these tasty sweets to my new boss (she loves them) as I start my new job today. Squeal! So excited!
Chocolate Covered Irish Potatoes
To begin, the GGG boys helped prep and set up our ingredients and work space.
To make Chocolate Covered Irish Potatoes you will need confectioners sugar, shredded coconut, vanilla, butter, cream cheese, cinnamon and bittersweet chocolate. We began by mixing the butter, cream cheese and vanilla to make a creamy mixture. From there we slowly added the confectioners sugar and coconut to the butter, cream cheese and vanilla. Once the mixture was fully combined, we shaped tablespoon-size scoops of mixture into potato shapes before rolling each “potato” in cinnamon to coat. Once fully coated in cinnamon, we dipped the “potatoes” in melted chocolate and placed them on a silicone sheet (or wax paper lined cookie sheet). If you choose, you can sprinkle the covered “potatoes” with green colored sprinkles , do it while the chocolate is still wet. Once fully shaped, dipped and decorated, the “potatoes” should chill in the refrigerator for about one hour or until set.
Chocolate Covered Irish Potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened (1/2 brick package)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 cups tweeted flaked coconut
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon use more if needed
- 1 bag of bittersweet chocolate melted
- green sprinkles optional
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter, cream cheese and vanilla. Slowly incorporate powdered sugar and continue mixing. Add shredded coconut and mix until well combined. Roll mixture into tablespoon-sized potatoes. Roll each potato-shaped candy in cinnamon to coat. Dip potato-candy in melted chocolate. Decorate with sprinkles (if using, optional)Set on silicone mat or wax paper lined cookie sheet to set. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve. Refrigerate leftovers.
Can we say BEST EMPLOYEE EVER? Right? Right. So yum. Who can resist?
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well.
- Best Oatmeal Recipe for Kids // Courtney’s Sweets
- Nutella Banana Bread // Momma Lew
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken Tenders // Baby Loving Mama
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup // We’re Parents
- Super Soft Double Chocolate Chip Cookies // Frugal Novice
- Homemade Silly Putty Recipe // Eating Richly Even When You’re Broke
- Chocolate Covered Irish Potatoes // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- Taco Buddies // Step Stool Chef
- Blueberry and Goat Cheese Scones // Vegging at the Shore
- Baked Broccoli Bites // Mom’s Messy Miracles
- Loaded Oatmeal Cookies // O’Boy! Organic
- Kids Kitchen Safety Tips with Carter // Can’t Google Everything
This post was written by Linda Arceo for Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps. All rights reserved.
Stay Connected With Linda Arceo and Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps: Twitter Ι Instagram Ι YouTube Ι Facebook Ι Email Me