I know I say this a lot but THIS is my favorite recipe on GGG. I mean, what’s not to love, right? It includes bacon and my all-time favorite comfort food – rice. These two ingredients come together for a delicious takeout at home, Bacon Fried Rice.
I was happy to have Veetee Rice contact me and ask me to partner with them again. The last time I worked with them I made this awesome Deconstructed Stuffed Pepper Rice Bowl and it was all sorts of yum. This time they wanted me to create a unique recipe featuring one of their three flavors: Chicken, Wholegrain Brown and Rice Pilaf.
About Veetee Rice
If you haven’t tried Veetee Rice yet, you are so missing out. Veetee Rice is a deliciously convenient, heat and eat, microwaveable rice made with specially selected ingredients. Available in a range of plain and flavored options each pack of Veetee contains no artificial flavorings, colors or preservatives. Simply heat in the microwave or stir-fry in a wok for 2 minutes and enjoy. So simple, yet so delicious.
I’ve been on a Chinese food kick lately and have been craving it on a weekly basis which isn’t always the best for my budget. So, I decided to use their chicken flavor rice and create this unique twist on Chinese fried rice, Bacon Fried Rice.
To begin, I cooked 6 slices of chopped bacon in a large pan.
Reserving the bacon fat, I removed the cooked bacon from the pan. I then added the bacon fat back to the pan and added chopped onion, garlic and frozen peas. I cooked the onion, garlic and peas until the onions and garlic were translucent. I then added three packages of the Veetee Chicken Flavor Rice and tossed to coat. Once the rice had a chance to warm up, I created two large wells in the rice, pea and onion mixture and added three eggs.
Once the eggs had 1-2 minutes to set, I then scrambled them with a fork and cooked them for an additional 2 minutes. I turned off the heat and continued mixing the rice and eggs before re-adding the bacon to the pan and finishing the dish off with thinly sliced green onions.
- 3 packages of Vestee Rice (chicken flavor)
- 6 strips of bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces (about 12 ounces)
- Reserved bacon fat (see recipe)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 10 ounce package frozen peas(about 2 cups)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large, deep skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 15 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and reserve the bacon fat.
- Return the skillet to the stove and turn the heat to medium-high. Add reserved bacon fat to the pan and add the onion, garlic and frozen peas and cook for 2 minutes. Add Vestee Chicken Flavor Rice and toss to coat. Make a large well in the rice and add the eggs. Let the eggs set for 1 to 2 minutes, then scramble them with a fork and cook for 2 minutes more. Stir the eggs into the rice, breaking them up into small pieces. Turn off the heat. Add the bacon, the green onion slices and the soy sauce and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer the fried rice to a serving platter and top with the remaining scallions.
- Serve with crispy wonton strips, edamame and sriracha sauce to top the rice.
The Finished Dish
To finish, I served up a big bowl of Bacon Fried Rice and served it alongside my Crispy Wonton Strips and steamed edamame pods.
It literally was the perfect Chinese takeout-at-home type of meal. It satisfied my Chinese food craving and the meal was quick and simple to prepare. Doesn’t get much better than this for a weeknight meal.
Enter to Win!
Check this out! Veetee is giving away a box of rice (choice of flavor) and a $50 ShopRite gift card. Enter below for your chance to win. See entry form for details and restrictions.
Thank you to Veetee Rice for sponsoring this post. As always opinions are my own.