The mini chefs try their hand at Chinese food and their beloved Chinese appetizer with their take on Restaurant Style Crispy Wonton Strips with Homemade Duck Sauce.
We try not to eat out often but when we do Chinese food comes up very high on the list of eat out or take-out options. I think one of the reasons my boys enjoy Chinese food so much is because of the crispy wonton strips that usually accompany the meals. We embraced our love of Chinese food, and this tasty little appetizer, by making our very own Restaurant Style Crispy Wonton Strips with Homemade Duck Sauce.
We happened to be having a “take-out dinner made at home” kind of meal with my version of homemade Chinese food. So, to make it more authentic we decided to add crispy wonton strips and duck sauce to the menu. The problem was, we didn’t have any wonton strips or duck sauce on hand so we decided to make our own. If you are thinking to yourself, there’s no way I can make this, keep reading. It was so easy. Like unbelievably easy. Read on.
To begin, we grabbed a package of wonton wrappers and began cutting them into strips. I let my mini chefs handle this task by simply giving them a pizza cutter and telling them to cut in lines. Easy.
For the duck sauce, the mini chefs grated some fresh ginger, minced garlic, added apricot jam and a few other ingredients to the blender and before we knew it, we had homemade duck sauce. Even easier.
If having your child work near hot oil makes you a little nervous than have your little one sit this part out. There’s plenty to do with this recipe so he/she will definitely feel like they contributed even if they don’t get to fry the strips.
Within about five minutes we had delicious Restaurant Style Crispy Wonton Strips with Homemade Duck Sauce to enjoy with our homemade Chines food. It doesn’t get much simpler than this and the crispy wonton strips and sauce really made the meal complete and gave it that true eat-in/take out feel.
Restaurant Style Crispy Wonton Strips with Homemade Duck Sauce
- WONTON STRIPS
- 1 package of wonton wrappers sliced into strips
- oil for frying
- DUCK SAUCE
- ¾ C all-natural apricot jam
- 4 Tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 medium cloves fresh minced garlic*
- 1 tsp fresh minced ginger*
- ½ tsp chili powder
- WONTON STRIPS: Heat about 1 inch of oil in a large pan. Fry wonton strips in frying pan in small batches until golden brown. Drain on paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle lightly with salt (optional)
- DUCK SAUCE: Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until evenly combined. Pour into small dish and serve with wonton strips. Store unused portion in a container in the refrigerator.
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well!
- Strawberry Lemonade Ice Pops // Courtney’s Sweets
- Outback Copycat Coconut Shrimp Recipe // Momma Lew
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie Bowl // Baby Loving Mama
- Coconut Cashew Strawberry Banana Smoothie // We’re Parents
- Five Ingredient Chicken Pesto Pasta Salad // Frugal Novice
- Toddler Science Experiment Baking Soda Art // Eating Richly Even When You’re Broke
- Restaurant Style Crispy Wonton Strips with Homemade Duck Sauce // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- Yummy Orange Apple Cider // Step Stool Chef
- Apple Noodle Kugel // Vegging at the Shore
- Quiona and Oat Granola // O’Boy! Organic
- Kid Approved Chicken Fried Rice // Can’t Google Everything