This recipe for my Kumquat Whiskey Sour is in partnership with OXO and Melissa’s Produce.
I have a confession. I had never eaten a kumquat prior to this post. In fact, I actually ate it wrong the first time before googling “How to Eat a Kumquat” and watching the video below. Once I learned how to properly eat a kumquat it was like a whole new world and a whole new love. So much love that I was inspired to make a Kumquat Whiskey Sour.
Today’s post comes to you courtesy of a partnership between GGG, OXO and Melissa’s Produce to introduce you to the Greensaver and share my Kumquat Whiskey Sour recipe.
Did you know that more than 25% of the fresh fruits and vegetables purchased by U.S. consumers are wasted annually before being consumed? That equates to more than 226 pounds per the average U.S. family! Why do we waste so much produce?
If you are like me, when you bring produce home, you usually keep it in the plastic bags or the container it comes in. Storing your produce like this is actually causing it to go bad faster — this is the reason you often find rotten and slimy lettuce when you go to make a fresh green salad. I hate when this happens!
There are three main reasons produce rots and spoils:
– Ethylene Gas: Fruits and vegetables give off ethylene gas. Exposing produce to ethylene gas speeds up the ripening process, causing it to over ripen and go bad.
– Improper Airflow: When produce rests against the walls of containers, bags or crispers, moisture can build up and cause rotting.
– Uncontrolled Humidity: Fruits and vegetables require the perfect balance of humidity to keep them crisp and prevent wilting. To make things more difficult, different kinds of produce require different humidity levels.
The OXO GreenSaver solves for these three produce storage challenges. Check out the diagram below to see how.
I used my OXO Greensaver to keep my kumquats (and baby kale) crisp and fresh for several weeks without any problems.
In fact, I found that the produce tasted even better after storing in the Greensaver.
I loved the kumquats so much I decided to make a delicious Kumquat Whiskey Sour.
Kumquat Whiskey Sour
- 10-12 fresh kumquats
- 2 tablespoons liquid sugar
- 4 ounces of orange juice
- 2 ounces pineapple juice
- juice from half a lime
- juice from a half a lemon
- 2 ounces of whiskey I used Templeton Rye
- maraschino cherries to garnish
- Roll kumquats to release juices (see video). Fill small pot with 1/4 cup of water and liquid sugar and boil 8 kumquats for 5 minutes. Add ice to cocktail shaker. Pour the orange and pineapple juices in a cocktail shaker. Add lemon and lime juice. Once kumquats are boiled, strain water and sugar into cocktail shaker and shake. Add 2-3 boiled kumquats to glass and lightly mash. Top glass with ice, add 1 ounce of whiskey per glass and top with liquid from cocktail shaker evenly over both glasses. Garnish with kumquats, cherries and sliced kumquats (use raw kumquats for the slices).
I can’t recommend kumquats and the OXO Greensaver enough. Kumquats are my new favorite food and the Greensaver is my new favorite kitchen tool. In fact, I have my strawberries staying fresh in them now!
You have to checks out the Greensaver and while you are at it – order some Kumquats from Melissa’s Produce today!
This is a post in partnership with OXO and Melissa’s Produce. Product was received to facilitate this post.
This post was written by Linda Arceo for Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps. All rights reserved.