February 3, 2013 – only days away, Super Bowl Sunday is finally here.
Not a huge football fan? That’s ok. The Super Bowl is about more than just the game. There’s lots to do during the big game. There’s the food, funny commercials, the halftime entertainment, drinks, the food, parties and oh, did I say food? Hopefully you’ve been following my posts from this week and have a couple of ideas for the food and drink part (if not, check them out!)
Here’s a handy (Girls) Guide to Game Time so you don’t sound totally clueless while watching the game. (Hint: guys totally dig a girl who can talk football).
– Two teams, the Baltimore Ravens and the San Francisco 49ers will battle for the championship title. The San Francisco 49ers are favored to win by 3.5 points.
– In addition to the general fanfare that comes with the Super Bowl, this will be also be a big game for Raven’s player Ray Lewis as he is expected to announce his retirement after this season.
– Head Coaches for both teams are brothers and it is the first time in history two brothers have appeared against one another in the Super Bowl. Media has dubbed Sunday’s game the “Har-bowl.” John Harbaugh coaches for the Baltimore Ravens and Jim Harbaugh coaches for the San Francisco 49ers. John is the older brother by 15 months. Can you imagine how their parents must feel?)
– Quarterbacks for the teams include Joe Flacco (a Jersey boy) for the Baltimore Ravens and Colin Kaepernick for the San Francisco 49ers. Joe is 28 and Colin is 25. (In the hotness column, Joe Flacco wins in my book.)
– If you want to color coordinate your outfits with your favorite team, the Ravens’ colors are black, white, gold and purple. The 49ers’ colors are gold and scarlet. (Ladies, feel free to make your outfit as girly as possible Remember, fashion first!)
– Alicia Keys will sing the National Anthem prior to start of the game. Kickoff is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. EST so expect her to sing around 6:25 p.m. followed by the coin toss. You can watch the Super Bowl on CBS.
– The fabulous Beyoncé will perform for the halftime show which is sponsored by Pepsi (there are also rumors of a Destiny’s Child reunion as part of the show). The halftime show will likely begin around 8:00 p.m. EST. (If Beyoncé sings “Single Ladies,” please get up and dance. This is the best song ever!)
– Expect big ads and commercials from car brands Volkswagen, Audi, Toyota and Mercedes-Benz and other big-time brands such as Bud Light, Coke and Taco Bell. At $4 million dollars a pop, for a 30 second spot, advertisers are hoping to capture your attention and create some buzz.
– If you have little guys and gals to tend to during the game like I do, here are some tips to keep them entertained and occupied when it comes to game time. Check out these great ideas.
I absolutely love Super Bowl Sunday. My husband and I have been watching the game together since we started dating and we always have so much fun (we even have a little tradition of always having Girl Scout cookies available on our dessert tray). Whatever your plans are for game time – either surrounded my family or with a bunch of friends – make it memorable and most of all, enjoy the game!