It’s Mini Chef Monday! Today’s post is gearing up for Valentine’s Day with these super cute Heart Shaped Eggs with Bacon Hearts.
Welcome to this week’s Mini Chef Mondays as we gear up for Valentine’s Day by making Heart Shaped Eggs with Bacon Hearts.
We absolutely love Valentine’s Day in our house. My husband and I were married just four days before Valentine’s Day and both of our boys were born on February 12th. February just seems to be OUR month and the 4 days between February 10th and February 14th are filled with much love and celebrations.
Because my boys share the same birthday, I always try to make the little things special, particularly around their actual birth date. One of my favorite things to do is make holiday-themed meals.
I decided to show the GGG boys how I whip up these super simple Heart Shaped Eggs with Bacon Hearts. I usually serve this breakfast on Valentine’s Day as a little surprise.
To begin preparing the Heart Shaped Eggs with Bacon Hearts, we had to start with the bacon hearts because they take longer.
We lined a baking sheet with aluminum foil and began assembling the hearts. Now, a lot of posts on bacon hearts will tell you that you need the cut the bacon to form the heart. I actually don’t find that step to be necessary. The key is working with nice, thick cuts of bacon. Try to steer away from the thinner cut bacon.
To make the bacon hearts we began by laying the bacon flat and then folding it in half, lengthwise. We then formed a heart on the baking sheet, using the folds of the bacon to keep the heart upright and stable.
Once we were finished, we placed the bacon in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minute or until desired crispiness – we tend to like our bacon on the crispier side so we kept ours in for a little longer.
As the bacon was cooking, we started on our heart-shaped eggs.
You can do this a couple of ways. You can use heart-shaped egg rings, a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut the egg once it is cooked, or a silicone heart mold. We used the silicone method.
As soon as the bacon was ready, we took it out of the oven and placed it on a paper towel-lined plate to remove any excess fat.
Serve the heart shaped eggs with bacon hearts along with some fruit and breakfast is ready!
- 1 lb of thick but bacon
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Fold bacon strips in half, length wise. Assemble bacon on baking sheet in the shape of a heart. Place in oven and cook for 30 minutes or until desired crispiness. Drain on paper-towel lined plate.
- Make heart-shaped eggs in the frying pan by using a mold (either ring mold or silicone). If you do not have a mold, prepare eggs and then cut with a cookie cutter. Serve eggs and bacon together with fruit.
- You may need to drain the bacon during the middle of cooking.
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well. We would love it if you would share your Mini Chef posts with us each week, too! Follow along socially and join in on the fun by using our hashtag #MiniChefMondays to share creations your mini chef created in the kitchen. Additionally, if you have a kid-friendly recipe that kids can easily recreate link up! Don’t have a blog? Share the URL of your instagram photo in our linky below.
- No Bake Oreo Cheesecake // Courtney’s Sweets
- Creamy White Chicken Chili // Momma Lew
- Cherry Brownie Parfaits // Baby Loving Mama
- Baked Taco Casserole // We’re Parents
- Berry Sorbet // Frugal Novice
- Healthy Football Appetizer Seahawks Fruit Salad // Eating Richly
- Heart Shaped Eggs with Bacon Hearts // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- I Love You Cupcake Fondue // Step Stool Chef
- Chocolate Dutch Baby // Vegging at the Shore
- Meatball Sub Cups // Mom’s Messy Miracles
- Best Cookbooks for Children // O’Boy! Organic
- Apple Sandwiches and Preschoolers Cook Cookbook Giveaway // Can’t Google Everything
Enjoy and thanks for checking in with this week’s Mini Chef Monday!