Yesterday’s Super Game XLVII Themed Meal focused on the 49ers and a special San Francisco treat so it’s only fair for today’s post to take on Baltimore and come up with an appetizer for the Baltimore Raven fans. What is more Baltimore than crab cakes? But this isn’t your everyday crab cake, these are Utz Potato Chip Crab Cakes. For the big game give this a try, Super Game XLVII Themed Meals: Baltimore Utz Potato Chip Crab Cakes.
While Utz Potato Chips are technically manufactured in Hanover, PA anyone somewhat knowledgable of the mid-Atlantic region knows their true roots started in Baltimore where Utz founders would sell their chips to local shops and at markets in the Baltimore area. For those of you not familiar with the East Coast, here’s a little background on our beloved Utz.
I have always loved Utz Potato Chips and I wanted to figure out a way to use them in my Baltimore-themed meal. Seemed only right.
I am definitely a little nervous about this recipe. Baltimore fans are tough and they take their crab cakes seriously. What was I thinking? Taking on the iconic crab cake? Yes, I did. I totally did.
Beyond the incorporation of the potato chips, my crab cakes also include crab (of course), egg, grey poupon mustard, lemon juice, Old Bay Seasoning and they are mayonnaise free. I also opt to serve my crab cakes with cocktail sauce instead of tartar sauce because, well, I just like it that way.
Baltimore Utz Potato Chip Crab Cakes
- 12 oz. white crab meat
- 1 tsp grey poupon mustard
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups of crushed potato chips use Utz if you can find them!
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Oil for pan frying
- Combine all ingredients into a large bowl.
- Shape mixture into small cakes, about 1 x 1 1/2 inches.
- Pour oil into small skillet to depth of 1/3 inch; heat skillet over medium heat.
- When oil is hot, cook crab cakes about 3 to 5 minutes on each side until browned.
- I like to cook mine in a small frying pan to keep the batches small and my oil a consistent heat.
- Remove to paper towels.
- Serve crab cakes warm, squeeze fresh lemon juice on top and top with cocktail sauce.
Disclaimer: No goods or services were received in exchange for this post. I am not working with Utz. Just a local girl who happens to like their chips.