So, here’s the deal. I had planned on sharing a great recipe for Chocolate Muffins to complete my final day of my back to breakfast series but things didn’t go as planned. I am not sure what happened but my muffins turned out awful. They were dry and lacked that light muffin texture. I think it had a lot to do with the flour I used. Half way through my recipe I realized I did not have enough all-purpose flour and had to use some whole wheat flour instead and I think it just changed the entire recipe beyond repair. You should have seen my poor husband’s face when I made him taste one. He looked at me and said, “Babe, these are bad.”
I really didn’t have a Plan B for a back-up idea and I really wanted to complete my back to school breakfast series so I immediately went into improvise mode. I thought to myself, “How can I salvage these muffins and turn them into something different?” Bread pudding immediately came to mind. Here is how my repurposed awful chocolate muffins went down and got turned into Chocolate Muffin Bread Pudding.
Chocolate Muffin Bread Pudding
- 7-8 awful muffins or banana bread, etc.
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar for sprinkling on top
- Heat over to 350. Spray 1 quart dish with non-stick spray.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the milk, vanilla extract, sugar and egg.
- Roughly chop the muffins (or failed bread recipe) into 1 inch cubes and stir into the milk mixture. Pour the mixture into the dish and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
As mentioned in the recipe, I then spooned the mixture into a serving dish and topped with vanilla yogurt and served warm. What were once awful chocolate muffins were now rich, decadent Chocolate Muffin Bread Pudding. My recipe failure was saved!
This is a great option for when your baked goods don’t turn out as planned. I keep thinking about some banana bread that I ruined last week and how I wish I had thought to repurpose it before ditching it in the trash. As a side note, what is up with me a baked goods lately? I had two recipe failures in less than a week.
And with my recipe disaster my week of back to school breakfast ideas is completed. Stay tuned next week as we tackle back to school lunch ideas. Enjoy the last weekend of summer and have great weekend.