Tackling the Whole30? Try this Whole30-Compliant Sausage, Potato and Kale Sauté
Did I share with you that I started the Whole30 program again on January 4th? After a holiday season of pleasurable indulgences, it was time to reset my body and detox from the sugar (and numerous Christmas cookies) that invaded my body, and put on all of the weight I lost, right back on.
If you are not familiar with the Whole30 program, it is a “nutritional program designed to change your life in 30 days. Think of it as a short-term nutritional reset, designed to help you put an end to unhealthy cravings and habits, restore a healthy metabolism, heal your digestive tract, and balance your immune system.” (Source: Whole30.com)
This time around the Whole30 program is a lot easier to tackle. I’ve been there, done that and I know what to expect and how my body will react. PLUS, I did the “old” Whole30 the last time I completed the program and didn’t realize that the program’s guidelines had been revised and white potatoes were now allowed in the Whole30 program.
Potatoes! I love potatoes. For me, this was a total game changer and has really inspired me for this round of the Whole30 program.
For today’s recipe for Whole30-Compliant Sausage, Potato and Kale Sauté, I can’t say enough about this dish. It was simply delicious. Let me put it this way, my boys each had second helpings. Second helpings of kale? Yes, kale!
To begin, I browned 32 ounces of pork sausage, which has been cooked with onions and chopped garlic. Once browned, I added six small potatoes, chopped medium-sized.
As soon as the potatoes were softened, I added 4 generous handfuls of chopped, raw kale.
The potatoes, sausage and kale continued to sauté until all of the ingredients were fully cooked and that’s it! Done.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 large white onion, chopped small
- 32 ounces ground pork sausage
- 6 potatoes, chopped medium-sized
- 4 generous handfuls of chopped kale
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- In a large, deep frying pan, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, minced garlic and chopped onion. Cook until translucent. Add ground sausage and cook until browned. Drain any liquid from the pan and add potatoes. Sauté potatoes until lightly browned and then cover and continue cooking until potatoes are soft. Once potatoes are soft, add handfuls of kale and cook until kale is soft and cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
Want to join me on the Whole30 journey? Have you completed the Whole30 program before?