I was invited to create #theperfectcomplement dish to pair with popular Mexican beer, Negra Modelo. I was inspired by one of my favorite chefs, Rick Bayless, to re-create a dish I had many years ago while visiting Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, a Steak and Shrimp Molcajete.
The Steak and Shrimp Molcajete may look like a complicated dish when really it is just well seasoned shrimp and steak, a tomato-based sauce and peppers served in a molcajete. A molcajete is the Mexican version of a mortar and pestle and is often used for grinding various food products. A molcajete can also be used as a warming vessel to serve food. Typically, the dishes are not prepared in the molcajete but keep the dish warm once it is served as the stone can keep heat over a period of time. I absolutely love this dish and was immediately taken back to the beautiful beaches of Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, where I was also, coincidentally, introduced to Negra Modelo.
Negra Modelo is a dark style beer and is Mexico’s top-selling dark beer and the #2 imported dark beer in the U.S. The beer has hints of caramel sweetness and dark chocolate flavors to create a medium-bodied, drinkable dark beer. The beer is often served with a lime and pairs perfectly with spicy dishes.
- 1 1 1/2 lb flank steak
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1 poblano pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chicken base
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 cup chicken stock
- garlic pepper seasoning for shrimp (I used The Spice House's Back of the Yards Garlic Pepper)
- beef spice seasoning for steak (I used The Spice House's Quebec Beef Spice)
- olive oil
- Preheat stovetop griddle. Sprinkle beef seasoning on both sides of flank steak. Sear steak on griddle and cook until medium well. Remove from griddle and set aside.
- Place poblano pepper on hot griddle and roast/char on all sides. Remove skin and set aside.
- Peel and de-vein shrimp and toss lightly with olive oil and a sprinkling of garlic pepper seasoning. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place molcajete inside, directly on bottom rack, to warm.
- To prepare sauce, drizzle olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add chili powered, tomato paste, chicken base and cumin and allow to simmer, making sure to fully cook the spices. Add chicken stock and allow sauce to thicken over medium-low heat.
- Cook shrimp on griddle until pink and fully cooked, set aside.
- Slice pepper into medium strips and slice steak into strips along the grain.
- Remove molcajete from oven using oven mitts and place on heat-safe surface. Spoon 2-3 ladles of sauce into the molcajete. Add steak, shrimp and peppers and toss to coat. Serve alongside warm tortillas directly from the molcajete.
GGG was contacted directly by Negra Modelo to participate in their #perfectcomplement campaign. I received product and funds to participate. This article was written by food blogger Linda Arceo for her food blog, Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps