Making meals during the week doesn’t have to be hard or require a ton of prep. Sure, it pays to be prepared and have a well-stocked pantry, spice cabinet, refrigerator and freezer but it isn’t always about what you have or don’t have on hand, it is more about what you do with the things you have. One of the things I try to have on hand in my pantry all the time are sun-dried tomatoes. Sun-dried tomatoes are ripe tomatoes that have been dried in the sun and take on a dehydrated texture.
Sun-dried tomatoes are a fantastic kitchen staple because they have great shelf life if stored properly. The preferred way to store sun-dried tomatoes are to place them in an airtight bag or container and store in the refrigerator or freezer for six to nine months.
This dish of Spaghetti with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Arugula and Toasted Pine Nuts begins with fresh garlic and thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes.
The garlic is cooked lightly in olive oil. Once cooked, the sun-dried tomatoes are added to the pan and rehydrated with dry, white wine until soft.
The reheated sun-dried tomatoes are then combined with your favorite cooked spaghetti, arugula and toasted pine nuts for a deliciously, comforting but simple-to-prepare dish.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4-6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1-½ cups of sundried tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ to ½ cup of dry white wine
- 1 lb. of spaghetti
- 4-5 cups of baby arugula
- ¼ cup of toasted pine nuts
- Bring 8 quarts of water to a boil. Once water is boiling add a pound of your favorite spaghetti. Heat the olive oil in large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the chopped garlic and cook until light golden brown. Add the sliced sun dried tomatoes and sauté for another 30 seconds. Add the wine and sauté for another minute or so. The wine will begin to boil. Remove from the heat. Add ¼ cups of the starchy cooking water into the sauté pan. Drain the pasta and add it directly to sauté pan with the sun-dried tomatoes. Add the arugula and toss over medium heat for about 30 more seconds to 1 minute. Serve in a pasta bowl or serving bowl. Garnish with the toasted pine nuts.
We hope you enjoy this Spaghetti with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Arugula and Toasted Pine Nuts dish. Now, get cooking!
This article was written by GGG contributor Rhonda for food blogger Linda Arceo and Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps