I try not to eat at fast food restaurants but there are moments when I need a quick meal. My go-to places are not the drive-thru burger joints but more-so places where I can get a fresh(er) meal in a matter of minutes.
A week or so ago I was flying solo with the kiddos for dinner. I had to do a quick grocery run and dinner needed to be fast. I ended up at a fast soup and salad place where they were offering beautiful bowls of grains and vegetables in a warm broth and topped with an egg. It wasn’t an actual soup but the flavor was all there and I couldn’t get enough. I knew I had to try and recreate at it once I got home.
This Red Lentil Collard Green Soup with Cannellini Beans and Egg is a beautiful blend of creamy red lentils, soft cannelini beans, rich tomato flavor and hearty collards.
After sweating onions and chopped garlic in a large pot, I added the collard greens and cooked them down. Once softened I then added the rest of the ingredients – the crushed tomatoes and spices and cooked lentils.Towards the end of the simmering I added the cannellini beans and allowed the pot to simmer another 10-15 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 cups collard greens, shredded
- 2 cups cooked red lentils
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 15 oz can chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 15 oz can cannellini beans
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, halved
- In a large pot, add the olive oil saute the onions and garlic until tender. Adding more olive oil if needed.
- Add the collards and cook down, seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Top with the remaining ingredients, except for cannelini beans and hard boiled eggs. Reserve those for the end. Bring to a boil then simmer for 40 minutes. During last 10 minutes of cooking, add cannellini beans, drained. Simmer for another 10 minutes. Taste to adjust seasonings. Serve in a large bowl and top with halved egg.
The Red Lentil Collard Green Soup with Cannellini Beans and Egg is a hearty meal for a cold winter’s day. Add a warmed loaf of bread and you have the perfect meal for lunch or dinner. Super delicious and super nutritious.
Enjoy and stay warm!
This post was written by Linda Arceo for Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps. All rights reserved.