Cheesy Mashed Potato Pie. Do I have your attention now? Not yet, well how about a room filled with over 50 pies. Yeah, I thought that would work.
Last week I attended a Pie Party Potluck LIVE 2014 in NYC hosted by Ken and Jackie. Pie Party Potluck LIVE 2014 is a special food event where a bunch of food bloggers gather together in the beautiful GE Showroom in New York City to eat and drink our way through tasty pie after tasty pie. From the sweets to the savories, there was definitely something for everyone.
The hand pies in the top right of this picture were made by Angela of Mind Over Batter and they were divine. My #1 from the night, for sure. The pie on the bottom right was made by my little buddy Samantha from Souffle Bombay. This 9-year old is the real deal – such a talent in the kitchen and loaded with personality (just like her mom).
My pie was one of the savories, a Cheesy Mashed Potato pie. I opted to go the savory route because I am not much a baker and I wanted something that would travel well from my home in New Jersey to New York City.
To begin, I started with my main ingredients of potatoes, Kerrygold butter and two different Kerrygold cheeses. After boiling the potatoes until they were soft I whipped them up to get them ready for the pie.
I then assembled several layers of potatoes, cheese and butter before topping with a final layer of shredded cheese (definitely not the best choice for those watching their waist).
After baking in the oven for a short period of time my Cheesy Mashed Potato Pie was ready. Look at its beautiful golden color.
The recipe was relatively easy to complete and didn’t take very long to finish. Ready to check out the recipe?
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
- 2 teaspoons garlic, crushed
- 6 tablespoons butter (I used Kerrygold)
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated, divided
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, divided (I used Kerrygold)
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
- Chopped parsley to garnish (optional)
- 1.) Place the potatoes and Ggarlic in a large saucepan - cover with water and cook until the Potatoes are tender.
- 2.) Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a pie dish with cooking spray.
- 3.) Drain the potatoes and place back into the saucepan and add butter and mash.
- 4.) Add 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, half and half, sour cream and the eggs and whip until light and fluffy.
- 5.) Season to taste with salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and cumin - spoon half the mixture into the prepared oven dish - top with 1 cup shredded cheese, pressing the cheese down slightly - spoon the remaining mashed potatoes over the cheese.
- 6.) Sprinkle with the remaining parmesan, the bread crumbs and the remaining cheese.
- 7.) Dot with the cubed butter and bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Garnish with parsley.
- 8.) Cut into wedges and serve.
Of course, my little GGG sign photo bombed the shot. What can I say? I like to keep it fun.
If you were attending a Pie Party would you bring a sweet or a savory?
This article was written by beer and food blogger Linda Arceo and Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps