If you haven’t figured it out yet by following this blog, I have a thing for peanuts and peanut butter. This month, in honor of Hispanic Heritage Month, I was invited by The National Peanut Board
to share my favorite, original peanut recipe. Since peanuts originated in South America and are a key ingredient in many Latin foods, they are a staple in the Hispanic culture. With Fall making its grand entrance a few days ago I was inspired by the seasonal produce and decided to make Oven Roasted Spicy Peanut Butter Butternut Squash. I know what you are thinking – peanuts and butternut squash? Trust me. It is an unlikely combination but by combining these two superfoods, you are delivering a one-two vitamin punch combination. With 7 grams per serving, peanuts have more energy boosting protein than any nut. Coupled with their more than 30 essential vitamins and nutrients, peanuts are considered a superfood and add a nice boost to this meatless dish.
To begin, I cut a large butternut squash and filled a 9 x 13 glass baking dish. (Tip: To make cutting the butternut squash a little easier, pierce the skin of the butternut squash with a knife a couple of times and cook in the microwave for five minutes). I then added the remaining ingredients and popped it in a 350 degree oven for about an hour.
Juggling work, family and activities can take a lot out of us. More than ever, we need help to get through the day (or night) in our increasingly busy lives. This recipe is so simple, you literally chop up the butternut squash, mix the squash with the other ingredients and place in the oven to cook. While the squash is cooking, you can spend time loading the washing machine, getting caught up on household chores or spending a little extra time with the kids.
Oven Roasted Spicy Peanut Butter Butternut Squash
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1/2 cup of smooth peanut butter
- 1 TBS butter
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup of chopped peanuts
- cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut butternut squash. Melt peanut butter and butter in microwave for 1 minute to make smooth and easy to mix. Pour peanut butter and butter mixture over butternut squash, add paprika, curry powder, ground red pepper and garlic powder and mix to incorporate. Drizzle olive oil over squash and sprinkled with salt. Cover with aluminum foil and place in oven for 1 hour. Midway through cooking process, remove squash and gently turn. Sprinkle with additional olive oil and salt if needed, return to oven to complete cooking. Once squash is tender and done, place pan under broiler for 5 minutes to carmelize squash. Serve squash warm. Sprinkle each serving with chopped peanuts, cilantro garnish and a pinch of salt to finish.
Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps http://gigglesgobblesandgulps.com/
Here is a peek at the finished Oven Roasted Spicy Peanut Butter Butternut Squash.
Peanuts and peanut butter provide lasting energy and are a smart addition to your diet any time of the day. It’s also an affordable source of protein and really convenient–you can take a pack with you or stir peanut butter in a smoothie or your oatmeal. When you combine the value, nutrition and flavor of peanuts and peanut butter, families really get a nice bang for their buck.
My Oven Roasted Spicy Peanut Butter Butternut Squash is a great fall recipe that offers something a little different from the traditional way of serving butternut squash. This unique combination of peanut butter and butternut squash will give you the energy you need to make it through the day.
I am glad I was able to share one of my favorite peanut recipes with you. I hope you enjoyed it!
This is a compensated campaign in collaboration with Latina Bloggers Connect and The National Peanut Board.