I love banana bread and nothing is more comforting to me than smelling a loaf of banana bread wafting from my kitchen. Now, imagine banana bread kicked up like 100 notches. That is how I felt when I made this Banana Bread French Toast. This may be the only way I eat french toast from now on. It is seriously that good.
I was inspired to make my own version of Banana Bread French Toast while watching an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives on the Food Network where Guy Fieri visited the Memphis Street Cafe and tasted a bananas foster dessert made with banana bread french toast. My mind immediately went from bananas foster to the french toast part. I love French toast and banana bread so this seemed like the absolute perfect combination to me.
To begin, I used my favorite banana bread recipe, which for me happens to be the Joy of Cooking’s banana bread. It is my tried and true recipe and never seems to fail me. I knew it would be the perfect base for my Banana Bread French Toast. I have included the Joy of Baking’s banana bread recipe here.
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 1/3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas (about 2)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Green an 8 1/2 x 41/2-inch loaf pan.
- Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a separate, large bowl beat on high speed butter and sugar. Beat in flour mixture until blended then beat in 2 large eggs, which have already been lightly beaten. Then fold in mashed bananas.
- Spread batter into loaf pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Let cook in pan before removing from pan.
To make the Banana Bread French Toast you will also need:
1/2 cup whole milk
3 tablespoons sugar and 3 tablespoons cinnamon, combined to great mixture for dusting french toast
1-2 whole bananas, sliced
Butter and syrup
To make the Banana Bread French Toast simply prepare an egg and milk wash using 3 eggs (room temperature) and 1/2 cup of milk whisked together. Slice the banana bread into 8-10 even slices and lightly soak each piece on both sides and place on pre-heated non-stick skillet or frying pan.
Sprinkle moistened banana bread with cinnamon-sugar mixture and cook until browned on each side. Top with sliced bananas, butter and syrup and serve warm. You could also sprinkle powdered sugar on top (optional, I did not). How delicious does this look?
This is the perfect breakfast for these cooler mornings. Start your weekend off right with this deliciously decadent Banana Bread French Toast. I hope you enjoy it.