My Community Supported Agricultural (CSA) share has been amazing this year. Several weeks ago I received two huge, juicy cantaloupes in my share. After several days of nibbling cantaloupe with breakfast, lunch and dinner I decided to get a little creative a try something different. I happened to have a ready-made pizza crust from the bakery and decided to whip up a quick little pizza using cantaloupe, bacon, goat cheese and arugula.
Before you turn up your head and scoff at my creation, stick with me. I am sure you have seen cantaloupe serviced with prosciutto before, right? Well, this recipe for Cantaloupe Bacon Pizza plays on that idea, but takes it up a notch by combining with other toppings to create a gourmet pizza combination.
- Pizza crust (ready-made or homemade baked and ready to go)
- 1/4 cantaloupe, sliced
- 4 pieces of cooked bacon, crumbled
- 4 oz. crumbled goat cheese
- 1 cup arugula
- 3 TBS olive oil
- sea salt or kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Place pizza crust on pan. Prep pizza crust by bushing with olive oil. Once oven is heated, place pizza crust in oven. Allow to bake for five minutes. Using a grill pan, brush cantaloupe slices on both sides with olive oil and grill until marks appear and cantaloupe is slighted wilted. On heated pizza crust, coat with goat cheese, crumbled bacon and cantaloupe slices. Return to oven for five minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkled with salt to taste and top with 1 cup of arugula. Crack freshly ground black pepper on top, serve and enjoy.
- Shortcut! Don't want to mess with a pizza crust? This recipe can also be made using flatbread, naan bread or even pita bread.
What is the most unusual pizza combination you have ever tried? How does a Cantaloupe Bacon Pizza with Goat Cheese and Arugula sound to you? I want to hear your thoughts. If you give it a try, loop back and let me know what you think.